Thursday, August 03, 2006

Ridin' Around Town

My newest adventure would be teaching my 16-year-old son, Nick, to drive. It's been quite an adventure so far. I have been letting him drive around town when I know the traffic won't be too bad. Not during lunch or afternoon when a lot of people are driving. The place I hate the worst is the strip in front of Wal-Mart. That whole stretch of road is just dangerous. He really has been doing ok as long as he pays attention to what he is doing. It really has amazed me that even though he never listens to me, he has been listening to me while he drives. I am very impressed with this and it has really made things easier for me. If anybody has any suggestions please let me know- all will be appreciated. It has really hit me hard lately that my children are grown or almost grown. Nick has a girlfriend- long distance- named Danielle & I love her- she's great! She lives in Stratford, Ct. and they talk on the phone and over the internet constantly. They already have trips planned as soon as they can make enough money for plane tickets. And then there's Kristie- getting married last month and moving to Emporia, Ks. this week-end. Whatever am I gonna do without my little girl close by? Pause for crying session.............it's just now sinking in that she's gonna be gone- and ssssoooo far away!! Better go for now, it's just gonna get soggier. More later.

7 comments:

Mark W. said...

Judging by the picture, it looks like Nick already got that plane ticket, but somehow overshot Connecticut and ended up at the North Pole. :)

Seriously, though: becoming a driver is something all kids yearn for so badly, they will do the most serious and mature things - including taking orders from their mom. Nick's a cool guy. I'm glad I got to meet him at familty camp.

Keep up the good posts!

Lou Arnold said...

I hope your move this weekened will go as planned. I am praying for Kristie and her husband.

Lee Ann James said...

Oh, Tammie! I love you! I'm sorry that you're kids are "grown or almost grown". Hey, if it makes you feel any better, you and Kevin can join Taylor and me. We'll be the only 4 people at Journey without kids living in our house! We can start a club or something. ;) Can't wait to see you Wednesday!

Tammie S. said...

Lee Ann
That sounds like a good idea- our very own exclusive club. But how long will you two be in it???????? HHHHHHMMMMMMMMM???!!! Just kidding! Not gonna wish that on anybody if their not ready. See ya soon.

McDreamy said...

hey you! i'm sorry i haven't been keeping up with you better. i love to see you blogging.

i didn't know about the connecticut girlfriend?!

Anonymous said...

Hey Tammie,
Dani got her license this Summer, but is still in training, under Mom's thumb. Even though she thinks she is mature enough to handle the road, here in Connecticut, she IS NOT!! These people drive way too fast, and Crazy!! But she is doing really good, now that she learned, (the hard way), not to drive with the emergency brake on.
As far as missing your daughter, I can tell you from EXPERIENCE, it won't get any better. My daughter left for college when we were stationed in Washington, State, (3000) miles away from us. She went to William Carey College, in Hattiesburg, MS. That was the hardest thing for me, cuz we were very close. Still are. I thought being separated, she wouldn't need her Mommy as much. Well, even now that she is married, she needs me even more. Thank God for the phone, and the Internet. We keep in touch daily. It really helps, especially now that we are in CT. (still separated). Going through the same thing with my Son now. That's what you get when you are a Military family. I will pray for you and your longing heart. I KNOW where you are coming from. Maybe that's why we connected so well, when you guys visited with us in Greenville, MS. Not to mention that our two yougest have a special bond. You take care, and remember I am here if ever you want to talk.

p said...

What a handsome young man!